Sunday, March 24, 2013

Patience

My ears are still ringing after spending the evening yesterday at the Luke Bryan concert in C-ville. The show was AMAZING and a great way to unwind during a low-key, between-rotation weekend.



Being in C-ville meant I was able to complete my weekly long run with some terrain. It's hard to find any significant elevation up here in Northern VA, so I was happy to get in some race-specific training as things start winding down to Blue Ridge Marathon. 4 weeks and counting!

This week had 20 miles on the schedule for my long distance workout. My goal for the day was to complete the distance slowly and easily. I usually go out too fast and then struggle through the last few miles. It is amazing how difficult it can be to start a run out much slower than you feel capable of. I had to check myself several times to stay at the right pace and keep the workout consistent. The restraint paid off. At mile 19, my mind asked for more and my legs responded. My last six miles were faster than my first, and that is a good feeling for a distance run!

The long run can be as much a mental workout as it is a physical one. Being patient and consistent got me through 20, and will hopefully help get me to 31 in a few months!

1 comment: