Monday, April 8, 2013

Taper

Less than 2 weeks to go until the 2013 Blue Ridge Marathon!

At this point in marathon training, the hard work is essentially complete. The last two weeks are spent in rest and recovery with a significant reduction in total weekly mileage. Sounds luxurious, but the taper can actually be the hardest two weeks you will experience. You start doubting your preparation, you get spooked by that "heavy" feeling in your legs, and you try to squeeze in last minute workouts that only set you up for injury.

I've been in this spot a few times before, and it doesn't seem to get any easier. I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous. I feel more prepared physically for this race than I have ever felt for my previous marathons. I started this journey on Nov 5, 2012 and I am proud of the work and dedication I have put in these past 22 weeks. I have run through the rain, ice, snow, freezing cold and stinging wind (and am only NOW being rewarded with some decent weather!). I've also kept training through my Psych, Peds, Ambulatory Care, OB-GYN, and CT surgery rotations. I have sacrificed study time for running time. I have given up some of the precious free moments that I actually get to see my husband so I can get the day's workout in. 24 total weeks of preparation will come down to 26.2 miles. Now it's just a waiting game.

Blue Ridge, I'm ready...bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment